Google+
About Susan

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Chinese New Year Came Early

This costume made me feel as if it was Chinese New Year, with its bright colors and flashy handkerchiefs. I'd never learned how to use the "pancake" handkerchiefs until this piece, and the wrist-twisting movements are certainly much harder to grasp than they appear. I have a constant issue with keeping my wrists loose while holding onto something (must be from my tennis team days), so it was a particularly challenging learning process. The dance itself is non-stop action, and full of fun. I liked to pretend that I was a giddy 12 year old on New Year's Day when dancing it. Come to think of it, maybe I looked more like a firecracker -- you know, one of the many that are strung together to produce a spectacular series of festive crackling and popping effect? Ha! Let's hope I don't pop off the vine.

No comments: