Google+
About Susan

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A TV Filming and Another Mind Expanded


In March there was a flurry of performances as well, including a special event at a museum. A crew from the local ABC television station even came to shoot my dress rehearsal of a piece I was preparing for performance the same month. A short clip of it was used for a program called "Profiles of Excellence" which was exciting. It showed me executing a series of turns, my big red skirt flying. When I saw the spot the first day it aired I thought my movements looked a little too tight, but apparently the producers liked it well enough. After my run-through the day of shooting, the ABC folks were completely surprised that my Yi folk dance was Chinese at all. "Wow, I never would have thought that these kinds of movements were in Chinese dance," one of them said. I'm always thrilled when I get someone to say that! Chinese dance is so many things; I learn something new at every turn and I love it.

No comments: