Google+
About Susan

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Just Breathe ... but make sure you breathe Korean style!


Korean dance is extremely challenging for me. I tend to be the kind of dancer who wants to throw my body around, but in Korean dance, all the intensity is kept inside your belly, literally. Tuck in your behind, make sure your chest caves in a little. And the breathing ... I think I should try taiji breathing exercises, they might actually help.

It helped that the dance I'm performing in the photo above is Korean with a modern touch. I'm not sure I can yet handle purely traditional 朝鮮 ... it would take much more training to get the feeling right. For this one I felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants, or rather, tripping over the hem of my generously cut, heavy skirt ...

No comments: