Google+
About Susan

Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Trouble with Photos





I missed the photo shoot for a this number (which is quite artistic and therefore not a classic crowd-pleaser for gigs -- that's too bad, because it's a real killer!), so I had to find a corner in my house to get some photos taken. As you can see, the electrical sockets and wall border add an oh-so-excellent touch, so we had to choose one to digitally alter to better effect. The one the director ended up choosing isn't my favorite shot, but it's fine with me. The performance is what counts.

This dance is kind of an introspective, a tour de force of the various female roles of traditional Chinese opera. It's extremely athletic and challenging on the acting side as well. It took me awhile to not feel like I was going to pass out after the first half of the choreography, yikes! Ever since learning this dance I vow to watch the Beijing Opera live one day. The tumbling is one thing but believe it or not, acting like an old Chinese woman (lao dan) is extremely difficult! I hope I'll have the chance to rehearse and perform this again in the future to see how much more nuanced I can make it.

No comments: